Basílica de Nuestra Señora de la Asunción

Year: 1703

The Basilica of Ntra. Sra. de la Asunción (declared an Asset of Cultural Interest with the category of Monument) began to be built in the year 1492. The primitive temple, smaller than the current one, underwent a first restructuring in 1560, when the nave was arranged central in a direction perpendicular to the one it had, and in the years that follow 1614 the Main Chapel, the vault and the roof are finished. At the end of the s. XVII, however, the temple is in ruins due to the successive extensions of it and its chapels, which affected the foundation, for which it was closed in 1694. Its reconstruction, begun a year later, was carried out by the Council; The new temple, of which its Baroque Rococo façade stands out, suffered in the middle of the s. XIX a fire that forced to carry out renovations, including the construction of its tower-bell tower, concluding the works in 1873.

Its plan, with three naves, also has five lateral naves and the sacristy. In addition to the main one, it has two side doors: that of San Pedro, on the left façade, and that of Santa María, on the right. The primitive altarpiece of the main altar was sold at the beginning of the s. XIX to pay for the renovation of the floor of the Basilica and replaced by another one carried out in 1911 by Sebastián Guillén and Manuel Carrillo (who also carved the pulpit in wood), and which was destroyed during the Spanish civil war; the current one was made by carpenters from Ciez in the 1940s and completed with six panels of Marian motifs in 2004. Between 2008-2010, an organ of great artistic and musical value was installed in the choir. The chapels and niches house a good number of Processional Images; Thus, beginning a tour of the nave on the right, you can see in them the Most Holy Reclining Christ and the Most Holy Virgin of Sorrow, the Most Holy Christ of Blood, Our Lady of Greater Sorrow, Santa María Magdalena, María Santísima de la Soledad and an ancient Image of the Lord of the Holy Sepulchre. On one side of the High Altar is the altarpiece-chapel of Nuestro Padre Jesús Nazareno. A reverse tour through the left nave will allow us to contemplate the Holy Virgin of Beautiful Love, in the chapel of the Holy One, and successively Saint John, the Ecce Homo and the Virgin of Faith, (Brotherhood of the Descent of Christ), the Holy Virgin of Mercy, the Most Holy Christ of Agony and the Lord of the Column.